Is Mold Remediation Dangerous?

Is mold remediation dangerous? Yes, it can produce mycotoxins, allergens, and other irritants. It is also known to damage porous materials. In this article, we’ll discuss how to safely conduct the remediation process. We’ll also talk about the risks to your health, including possible asthma attacks and damage to porous materials. Read on to find out more! [Updated: July 2014]

Mold remediation can produce allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are poisons produced by some types of mold. These compounds can trigger asthma attacks and allergic reactions in humans. The Environmental Protection Agency defines toxic mold as mold that can produce mycotoxins in its spores. Toxic mold is found in many commonly found species of mold, including Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Stachybotrys chartarum.

Mycotoxins are a common concern for the health of humans. Mold remediation can remove these dangerous byproducts and prevent any further damage to the structure. Mold remediation is critical in cases of water damage and mold growth mold remediation Raleigh. It is a good idea to test the property for potential mold infestations before hiring a company. Some molds produce allergens, irritants, or both.

It can cause asthma attacks

Exposure to mold spores in the air can trigger asthma attacks. These attacks typically consist of shortness of breath, wheezing, and chest tightness. While this condition may occur in young children, it can also strike adults. Another negative side effect of mold exposure is chronic sinus infections. People with chronic illnesses are also at greater risk of suffering from asthma. In these cases, professional mold remediation may be required.

Although health care professionals disagree on whether mold is the cause of asthma, research has shown that it can trigger an asthma attack in some people. Even people without asthma can experience asthma-like symptoms when they are exposed to mold. This is because certain types of mold produce allergens that can trigger an allergic reaction in sensitive individuals. These chemicals react with the asthmatic body’s natural defenses and produce histamines. Therefore, it’s imperative to address any potential source of mold in the home as soon as possible.

It can damage porous materials

Despite its name, mold can eat through porous building materials. These products absorb large amounts of moisture, which can make them difficult to clean. If not cleaned properly, these materials can lose their structural integrity. Proper protective gear and safety procedures should be followed when cleaning the affected area. Listed below are a few things you should know about the process of mold remediation. Read on to learn about its most common effects.

Unlike nonporous materials, mold can grow on porous materials, such as wood or particleboard. However, not all molds are toxic. In order to survive, mold needs moisture, an organic food source, and not much direct light. Mold reproduces by forming microscopic spores. Different surfaces require different mold remediation techniques. Some mold remediation methods can damage porous materials, while others are more effective in cleaning porous surfaces.